5 Things You Need to Know Before Traveling to Peru
Peru is definitely one of the loveliest places on earth. Talk about the museums in Lima and the majestic Machu Picchu, this country is not just amazing but a true wonder. So if you are planning to visit this country here are a couple of things you need to know.
1. You don’t need a VISA to travel to Peru. All you need is a valid passport and proof of your onward return such as a round trip ticket. However, since you are travelling as a tourist you are only allowed to stay a maximum of 90 days in the country.
2. Don’t drink the tap water. Although Peru is a developed nation its public water system has not caught up with its modernization. This means that you cannot just drink the water from the faucet. Most hotels will provide you with a bottle of water not only for drinking but also for brushing your teeth.
3. Prepare for long hauls. Getting around in Peru has never been easier. If you are planning to visit another place in Peru, you might need to cross Lima or the International Airport in Cusco since these are their major hubs. For example a trip to the south will still require you pass through Cusco which will require 14 hours in total to reach your destination.
4. Go to Machu Picchu before going to Cusco. Although a lot of travel books will tell you to head straight to Cusco, going to Machu Picchu first will make your travel easier. Since you have to fly to Cusco anyway, you can head straight to Machu Picchu which is about 2, 400 meters above sea level. Cusco is 3, 400 meters above sea level.
5. Drink some Coca Tea. Most of the places in Peru have high altitude so it is no surprise why tourists get altitude sickness. Most locals will usually recommend you to drink the Coca Tea which is a traditional tea to cure altitude sickness. So you can have a cup of it. It tastes really good and extremely soothing to the body. Just don’t drink it before bed time because it is a stimulant and will most likely keep you awake the whole night. Also don’t try to bring some of it to the US as it is illegal.
Peru is definitely one of the most beautiful countries in South America. We hope that this mini-guide will be useful for your travel.